Re: [OM] Pond's Cold Cream: where to find it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Pond's Cold Cream: where to find it?
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:37:21 -0700
Dear Frank,

       Frank, if you are reading this, the Pond's cold cream
       was purchased at a Sav-On's drugstore and was listed as
       "Original Formula" deep cleanser.  The Pond's institute
       has an 800 number (1-800-743-8640) The net wt. 3.5 oz
       (99g) is more than a lifetime supply considering the
       small amount that would be used on a lens.

       I would suggest you try looking for it at a "De Hema"
       (Dutch equivalent of Woolworth's store).  There was
       one in Amsterdam the last time I was there.  The clerk
       might "bat an eyelash" at you though, especially if you
       ask him for the "Henk discount" !

  Hank Hogan

  PS If you can't find it.  I can put some in a small plastic
     vial and send it to you.

Frank van Lindert wrote:

> I have tried to locate a jar of Pond's Cold Cream here in Holland...
>
> Apart from some curious looks and questions in the shops (what are you
> gonna use it for? to clean my lenses...) almost nobody knows the
> product. Ponds is a brand that is widely marketed here, with many
> creams on the shop's shelves indeed.
>
> But this Cold Cream: an elderly saleswoman told me that she hadn't
> seen it since about twenty or twenty-five years. Which is about the
> same time the Olympus lenses came onto the market... any connection
> there?
>
> Is the product still marketed elsewhere in the world, or is it a
> remnant of the past (started in the early 1900's), only available yet
> in the US....
>
> I have browsed through the entire website of Unilever's, but not been
> able to find more than hints to the past as well.
>
> Please help...
>
> Frank van Lindert
> Utrecht - Netherlands

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer