Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:15:36 -0700
Richard, et al, Thanks for carrying on this discussion and pointing out
that the coatings are metalfluorides, that should be resistant to
organic
solvents.  I was not sure about the Zuiko camera lens coatings so I did
not want to take any chances.

BTW, the original post did say to use denatured alcohol.

  I'll keep using Pond's Cold Cream and Ethanol or denatured alcohol.
  Now I'm wondering if total immersion in isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol
  somehow damaged my Hoya 2X doubler -- could it have been the cementing
  of the lens elements was affected?

  I'm also wondering why the Leitz recommended method admonishes against
  using de-ionized water to make the dilution.  Is there something that
  is left in the water by the ion exchange columns that is potentially
  harmful to Zuiko lenses?

--- Hank

> I´m wondering why methanol should do less harm to the coating than
> ethanol. Methanol is obvious the stronger solvent, at least to plastics,
> organics
>
> Why should alcohol solve the coatings of your lens? They are made of
> metalfluorids, so they should resistant to organic solvents, a differnt
> thing are oxidating or reducing agents.
>
> > >You can obtain methanol at most hardware store in the
> > >USA where it is called either "denatured alcohol" or
> > >"wood alcohol"
>
> > Hank,
> >
> > I'm a bit confused. I looked at my can of denatured alcohol (from the
> > hardware store) and it says that it contains denatured ethyl alcohol,
> > and emphasizes that it contains less than 4% methanol. I checked other
> > brands from different stores with the same results. Comments please.
>
> Denaturated alcohol is always ethanol, mixed with other liquids to make
> it unfit for human consumation.
> This is reason, why you shouldn´t use denaturated alcohol for lens
> cleaning, you didn´t know what they used (you might get smeary effects
> on the lens or paint, plastics will be affected).
>
> BTW. Leitz, Leica recommends an mixture of 2 parts pure ethanol (from
> the pharmacy) and 1 part destiled water (not deionizide water) for lens
> cleaning. Not for fungus of course.
>
> Richard

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer