Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:39:02 +0200
Thomas H. Hogan wrote:

> BTW, the original post did say to use denatured alcohol.

I would try out if the alcohol evaporates without problems, I´ve, at the
moment, an sort of denaturated alcohol at home (for fondue), which
produces an ugly smear effect when used on filters.

>   I'll keep using Pond's Cold Cream and Ethanol or denatured alcohol.
>   Now I'm wondering if total immersion in isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol
>   somehow damaged my Hoya 2X doubler -- could it have been the cementing
>   of the lens elements was affected?

Probably, Leitz, Leica says to, that you should be carefully not to use
to much of the solution, it might trickle into the lens and do harm.
I´m not shure what they use today, to cement lens elements, in the early
days the used an natural resin called "Canada Balsam" (at least in
Germany they call it like this), no idea what they use today, but it is
likely, that it as vunerable to solvents.

>   I'm also wondering why the Leitz recommended method admonishes against
>   using de-ionized water to make the dilution.  Is there something that
>   is left in the water by the ion exchange columns that is potentially
>   harmful to Zuiko lenses?

Deionizing will only remove ions (salt) from the water, non ionic dirt
might stay in it and leave stains after evaporating. The best will here,
like always, to try it out on an non valuable object.

Richard