Re: [OM] Tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:23:08 -0700
>On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:53:23 -0700
>>From: Ted Slotwinski <t2n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I haven't seen this topic covered much, so I though to ask the
>>experts.    I am continuing to learn to use my OM cameras and lenses but
>>I want to go to the next level.    With the weather warming up and the
>>rains subsiding ( at least in California ),  I will be able to do some
>>hiking and camping and attempt to take some nice outdoor photos (
>>wildlife, scenery, etc. ).  >
>>What do you folks use?     I have read many posts in the newsgroups
>>about the Bogen 3001 legset and a good ball head ( Bogen, Slik, Linhof,
>>Kaiser or Foba ).    This seems to be good for combo for stability,
>>weight, ease of use and cost.      Any perferences for the ball head?
>>Other legsets to consider?
>
>I own a Cullmann Magic 2 and a Bogen 3205 (I have a third which I rarely
>use, but useful for low-lying objects).  My favorite is the Magic 2. It
>folds flat and fit into the side pocket of my backpack (Lowe Alpine Contour
>Runner 30).  I carry a water bottle (a Sigg which I bought in Austria, but
>is available in the US for much less money than the amount I paid) in the
>other side pocket to balance. The Magic is only 1150g!  You can make a
>monopod out of one of the legs and the center column.  The center column
>can be reversed.  The only thing I never liked is a ball head.
>
>Yesterday, I bought a Bogen swivel tilt head (3232) at my local camera
>store along with an adapter to change the thread size.  Now I can do my
>vertical shots more steadily.  My tripod still fits into the side pocket of
>my backpack.  My favorite salesman at the store who sold me my OM2000 said
>as I was trying out the arrangement with my OM-4T, "an international
>collaboration".  The Cullmann Magic 2 is made in Germany.  The Bogen head
>is really a Manfrotto made in Italy.  This seems a better collaboration
>than the three-country collaboration during the wartime.
>

>Tomoko Yamamoto
>Photographer, Composer, Soprano

Tomoko,

How do you like the Cullmann Magic 2? I have an old Leitz Tiltall which is
sturdy and lighter than alot of the Bogens, but I usually don't take it
unless in the car. I have looked at the Cullmann, but it seemed so light
that I wondered whether it would function. I also have a Leitz table tripod
that is light but rigid because of its solid cast aluminum construction,
but the ballhead it difficult to get on target if the lens is very long.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx