Re: [OM] Tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:16:07, -0500
After seeing all the tripod posts I guess I'll add my little bit.  I
have 2 Tiltalls, one I bought because I needed a good tripod and the
other because I couldn't pass it up for $5.00 at a garage sale.  I
like them.  They aren't built for a 8 X 10 in a strong wind but will
support a 4 X 5 nicely, at least without the strong wind.  When I was
taking photography in college the photo department had nothing but
Tiltalls except for the massive rolling beauties in the studios.  The
other tripod I have is a Leitz table top with the large ball head.
This combo will not slip and is compact (but heavy).  I've shot a 4 X
5 (Calumet with 22" bellows and a 210 lens) with this table top setup
with good results.  I always travel with the Leitz unit because I can
push it against a wall for time exposures - I've shot 20 second
exposures inside Jerusalem churches.  This was pre OM days so I had
to take a meter reading with my Luna Pro, go to a lighter place to
read the meter and set the camera, and then go back to take the
picture.  I haven't used other small tripods but I suspect none hold
as well as the Leitz. Once tightly, or even moderately, set the head
cannot be moved short of using a wrench or lever.