Re: [OM] Tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:16:34 -0400
I wrote on Thursday :
Yesterday, I bought a Bogen swivel tilt head (3232) at my local camera
store along with an adapter to change the thread size.  Now I can do my
vertical shots more steadily.  My tripod still fits into the side pocket of
my backpack.>

Jan Decher wrote:
>I had a Cullman 2 tripod, but gave it away.  It's an emergency tripod at
>best.  Not very stable and relatively slow to set up.  It's better than no
>tripod of course and good to have for interior photography (that Sixtine
>Chapel or Hagia Sophia ceiling....)and the obligatory selftimer group
>shots...
O.K.  Please drop -san after my first name.  In Japanese the combination of
the first name and -san implies very familiar relationship.  It is kind of
confusing to the Japanese psyche.  In the United States and on the
Internet, the use of first names does not imply any special relationships.
I exchanged a couple of e-mails off-line with Richard Schaetzl in Germany
partially in German.  Richard said the use of first names for addressing
leads to the use of "du" rather than "Sie".  Therefore if I insisted on
using "Sie" to him, I should address him as Herr Schaetzl!  In Japan when
you are addressing some adult acquaintances, you use the last name and
-san.  In adult relationships in Japan you never have to remember
somebody's first names.  Among men in familiar situations the -san may be
replaced by "-kun" or dropped altogether.

Back to the tripods and the OM system.  I have to admit that with the Magic
2, I have to give support to the camera as the ball and socket head on it
is not adequate to support a heavier setup or even on the right-angle
position.  Now that I replaced the ball-and-socket head with the Manfrotto
(Bogen) 3232 swivel and tilt head, I tested the new arrangement with my
OM-4T with a 35mm shift on the Winder 2.  I can now take a vertical shot
from a remote position in this way without worrying about the camera
starting to droop.  I have always suspected that it is the ball head that
is the problem, but I did not know which replacement head would work.  It
does help to have a local camera store where you can walk in to try a new
head on your tripod.  I did not have to pay a huge extra to use the local
store.  The price difference with B&H on the Manfrotto head was only two
dollars.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-