Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen
From: Javier Escartin <javihu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:32:29 +0000
Hi,

Thanks to all of you that sent comments on how to shoot from
a computer screen - I just got back the slides from the photo
lab in the University and they look great.  I had problems
with a flickery OM4Ti meter, moving more than 3 or 4
stops.  I was taking the reading from a 50 0ray (on screen).
So I took out my old OM1n took a reading with its unsophisticated
meter(it would not move a milimiter), and bracketed +-1 stop
in my OM4T.

I shot with a 100 f2.8 at 1/2 f5.6, at the closest focusing
distance.  Film was Sensia II and the test roll looks great.

About my OM1n.  I got it 2nd hand 10 years ago, had the winder replaced
twice, after getting in really sandy places.  I am a geologists,
so I bang up my equipment quite a lot on the field.  Then fell
rolling down 100 feet on a rock scree.  It broke the timer and shoe4,
dented the bottom plate and back, and lost the  50 f1.8.  Before that
I got hooked to OM with the OMPC of a fridn of mine, so I got
one for myself, gave away my Konika to my father.

I've taken my gear to many cruises (more than 40 days on a row),
so I have been always worried about salt, humidity, splashing water
and other nasty stuff on big research ships.My OMPC and OM1n were
always fine, with no electronic problems.My OM4Ti will have the first
sea-going experience this July - August... but will bring my OM1n along.

About the continuity of Olympus, it is 'common knowlege' in
Spain and Portugal that OMs are totally dead, or that the OM4T and
OM4T are stocked and sold but not being produced at this time.
2 weeks ago they knew nothing about the OM2000 and the new zoom.
I guess Olympus Europe is not pushing the southern markets.
However, I was surprised to see quite a few new lenses, OM4/3Ts
in Muscat, Oman... prices somewhat more expensive than in the US.
I wander who is in charge of distributing in the middle east -
for sure they have the mega bucks in Oman to afford a full
new OM set.

BTW - we had a server crash and lost some email.  Somebody asked
for some info on the zoom that Olympus took out with the
OM2000... did that info get posted?  If so, I would appreciate if
somebody sent me that email.

____
Javier Escartin
U. of Edinburgh, Dept. of Geology and Geophysics
Edinburgh EH9 3JW, Scotland (UK)
tel: +44 (0) 131 650 8511;       fax: +44 (0) 131 668 3184
email: javihu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/home/Javier.Escartin