Re: [OM] Cleaning the Mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning the Mirror
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:21:07 +0000
 <snip>
>Theoretically, forced air doesn't move dust out
>anymore than it moves it back and up, and two of those three things are bad.
>I'm not comfortable blowing air into my camera. I don't know whether my way
>is safer, but my comfortable level is higher. To each his own.
>
>Joel
              HEY LEE....ADD THIS TO THE OLY MAINTANCE FAQ?
Hi Joel,

   Right you are about just blowing dust around.  Having worked in clean
rooms for years I use the following method to clean camera bodies:

    Shut off the furnace or AC for 2 hours.

    Place a small air filter in the bathroom and close the door.  Remove
      any throw rugs and all towels. Mount the camera on a tripod at eye
      level.  Have blower brush and canned air in easy reach.

    After an hour of filtering, pass in through the door the hose end of
      the household vacuum cleaner with brush attachment.  Make sure the
      camera back is closed tightly. (I electrical-tape the seams)

    Place the vacuum brush at a 45-90 degree angle to the mirror cavity and
      brush as gently as possible the ENTIRE cavity.  I use an extremely
      soft camel hair brush with long bristles so any snaged bristles are
      easy to locate.  Reposition the vacuun head at various angles to
      create varying vorticies.

    When the brushing has done its thing, shoot the cavity with air and the
      vacuum head right along side it to pull out those blasted particles.
      Obviously, avoid 'blasting' the mirror and curtain creating unwanted
      problems or driving material into the viewfinder cavity.

    Cap the lens opening, turn the camera around and do the viewfinder.  Then
      open the back and brush-vac the film cavity, gasketing, window, etc.

CAUTION!!!  The strength of the vacuum is not to be overlooked.  A gentle
   draw of air is what we're looking for and to avoid and strain on the
   mirror mechanics and especially the curtain.  Open the vacuum handle air
   hole cover to reduce flow if necessary.  Keep the back closed to reduce
   air flow through the curtain when cleaning the mirror cavity, and body
   cover on when doing the back cavity.  The brush attachment on the vac
   hose will prevent scratching the body and diffuses the air pattern to
   help soften the 'pulling' action.

Final Inspection.  Use a magnifying glass to locate large pieces of dust
   before leaving the room and look through the viewfinder (body cap off)
   for last traces of debris.

FWIW,
Jim and Barbara       <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>