Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting the computer screen
From: "Dr. Matthew J. Cordery" <cordery1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:46:08 -0800
Hi Javier,
We used to do this a few years ago when I was a grad student at MIT.
Despite trying to convince the department chair for a few years to buy a
departmental slide maker, we still had to do things this way. One of the
key things is to always make sure you aren't shooting at shutter speeds
faster than the screen refresh rate. Otherwise, you'll get that annoying
banding. I used to spot meter off of the black area of my plots and just
stop the lens down by 2 fstops.
Matthew

>I need to take some slides of figures over my computer
>screen (16' Sun screen) with a tele (100 f2.8) and a tripod.
>The figures are just colour lines and symbols over
>a black background.
>Has anybody in this lest have some experience with these kind of
>shots?  I was going to use Sensia (cheapest), take the
>meter reading of a 18 0ray figure on the screen, and bracket
>at speeds slower than 30.
>

>--
>Javier Escartin
>U. of Edinburgh, Dept. of Geology and Geophysics
>Edinburgh EH9 3JW, Scotland (UK)
>tel: +44 (0) 131 650 8511;       fax: +44 (0) 131 668 3184
>email: javihu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/home/Javier.Escartin

Dr. Matthew J. Cordery                     cordery1@xxxxxxxx
Environmental Computer Applications Div.   (510) 423-6858
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
L206
P.O. Box 808
Livermore, CA 94550

A bad day in the mountains is better than a good day at work.