Re: [OM] OM-4's and the Grim Ripper

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4's and the Grim Ripper
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:22:55 -0800
Gary R. wrote:

>One thing I can tell you.  US laws require factory service and parts to be
>offered for 7 years after a product is discontinued.
>
>The OM-4 is past that point, versus the OM-4T and Ti. IMHO, anyone selling a
>OM-4 over $350US (10), $320 (9) and $290 (8) is nuts, given there are no
>circuit boards available for replacement. It makes for a very dicey purchase
>to pay over that.

I must disagree with Gary R. -- I think that it's way too early to
eulogize the OM-4. My own sample has been serving me unfailingly as
my primary body for several years now (I bought is secondhand), and
it shows no signs of fatigue.

Moreover, I'm pondering the relevance of circuit boards availability.
IMHO, it should be feasible to convert an OM-4 into an OM-4T simply
by swapping the circuit board, as well as the top and bottom plates.
I'm still unclear why a circuit board for OM-4T implanted inside an
OM-4 won't work. After all, the only differences are in the flash mode,
and any OM-4T fuly supports T-series strobes.

John H., pls help!

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA