Re: [OM] It's all for sale...

Subject: Re: [OM] It's all for sale...
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:02:11 -0800
Denton Taylor wrote:

>>the Aria specs look almost identical to the current
>>167MT, with upgraded electronics in a lighter body
>
>But if you compare the size of the Aria to the 4T, you will
>find it very similar. And that's with a built-in winder.

Actually, the Aria has the following dimensions:
137 (W) x 92.5 (H) x 53.5 (D) mm, weight about 460 g.
That's very close to 167MT. Compare it to the OM-4T:
135 (W) x 85 (H) x 50 (D) mm, weight 480 g. This gives
the OM-4T at least 25 percent higher body density.

>>>But if you look at the line up of cameras and systems
>available on the market, what other manufacturer still sells
>manual focus cameras and lenses brand new that can be
>considered a real system?>>
>
>Correct, only Contax & Leica.

Everyone seems to ignore the elephant in the guest room,
namely -- Nikon, which still manufactures and sells the
manual focus F3 and FM2n, as well as most of its N/AI-S
lenses. This is not the place to trumpet Nikons, but one
must concede that their customer base can be very proud
of the way their "mother ship" takes care of them.

>Don't forget I am not bailing out entirely. I am keeping things
>that nobody does better. One 4T body, one OM1 body, 50/2, 501.2,
>80/4 macro and 90/2 macro, 8 and 16 fisheyes, 24 shift, and all
>the related macro equipment.

I think that the main beef we (ok, ok, I :-)) have with you.
We'd like you to stay in the OM fold, but much more than that
-- we lust after your above delectable Zuiko toys.

Here's my final tidbit on the subject. To celebrate 100 years
of Carl Zeiss Planar design, Contax has announced a limited
edition Planar T* 55mm F1.2. The lens has 77mm filter, weighs
in a hefty 580 g, and is offerred at a list price of US$7,329.00.

That's a $360 per ounce, i.e. 20 percent more that the current
price of gold! (And no, the lens is not made of gold).

Sorry for being so damn rational -- I simply can't help it :-),
but to me this is as incomrehensible (reprehensible?) as the
fact that a few years back Australia was able to finance its
national debt by selling a few acres of real estate in downtown
Tokyo.

But then, for years now stock markets all over the world have
been breaking records on a daily basis, and everyone seems to
be able to rationalize that... Hey, maybe I'm the one who belongs
in a loony bin, but thus far my conclusion is that if economics
is science, then so is alchemy ;-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA