Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: Jeff Spirer <jeffs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:28:54 -0800
At 08:46 PM 3/14/98 +0000, Ian M. Stewart wrote:

>Delete this if you've heard it before, but the fear I have is that digital
>cameras, whether from Olympus or not, will replace the P&S and
>holiday/family snap market to such an extent that film manufacture and
>processing prices will rise and rise until only the wealthy amateurs and
>serious glossy magazines will be able to use it.  :-(

I think it will come from the other end.  Many high end photographers are
starting to work with digital, but not the type of p&s digital that is
common today.  Digital darkroom is a reality - check out a photographer
like Jan Faul, http://www.digitalnation.com/faulphoto, who is selling
digital darkroom prints for $2500.  (Digital darkroom here is shot on
normal film, scanned on absurdly expensive scanners, then the darkroom work
done in Photoshop, and digitally output onto high quality archival paper.)
The point and shoot market won't be affected for some time because the
dominant factor there is cost and convenience (film-in disposables dominate
sales now anyway) and digital doesn't address that.

But I would expect to see more and more pro work done with all-digital as
the cost of the equipment comes down, since there are some real compelling
reasons for them to go digital.  These reasons don't yet exist at the low end.

Jeff Spirer
B&W Photos: http://www.pomegranates.com
Color and B&W Photos: http://www.hyperreal.org/~jeffs/gallery.html
Axiom/Material: http://www.hyperreal.org/axiom/