Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 08:58:27 -0800
>Hi Richard:
>
><< Probably the value of the Pen-F series was pulled up by the excellence and
>the early popularity of the OM System. Current high quality produced goods
>always pull up their previous stuff. >>
>
>One would then expect that OLY's digital line-up would pull up the OM line.
>Perhaps that is yet to come?  After it is just a collectable?
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

I don't think that the latest line of digital toy cameras are really going
to pull anything along. They are just suitable for putting small images
with low CRT resolution on a web page. The weak link is the digitizing
process in the back of the camera and it does not really matter what the
quality of the lens/camera that is on the front end. That is why you have
8X, 10X, and 11X zooms on cam corders and everone thinks they are great. If
you could really see what the quality of the image was you would be
disappointed to say the least. The fact that some of these digital
"cameras" have a better quality point-and-shoot construction is pure
marketing, making the customer think they are getting something better for
paying more money. They may be getting more features, better ergonomics,
but no substantial difference in image quality, certainly not anything
approaching the quality of the cheapest film camera. Maybe sometime in the
future. Who knows.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx