Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:06:44 -0800

          Re:digital takeover..

             If you listened to Ritz management from district manager on up,
         you may think you're fears justified.Funny,coming from a company
         whose digital sales RETURNS are about half their digital sales.(A
         trade newspaper says that is better % than the pc stores selling
         same,btw.It just isn't there,yet.
             Meanwhile,there have been several NEW models of point and shoots
         since Ritz management told us p$s will be dissappearing.Olympus
         alone has had the Epics,a new Stylus 28-80,and a Stylus 38-140 (both
         just released).If they're disappearing,why are they releasing new
         ones?Fact is,a decent scanner has better resolution than ANY digital
         camera,to my knowledge.Digital cameras DO have their niche (ie-real
         estate sales,for instance),but a takeover?I doubt it.
            Would also like to point out their was similar talk when 35mm's
         were introduced many years ago-Oh my,god!there goes 120!:)Didn't
         happen.We have as many medium format customers in our store as we
         do 35mm.
             Anyway,hope this helps releive any fears along these lines.I'm
         not saying I "know and see all".This is just a prospective from
         someone whose worked both in corporate (Ritz and Kits)stores as
         well as locally owned stores the past five years.

                                                    enjoy,
                                                      Brad