Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Mar 98 09:47:07 +0100
On Lun, 16 mar 1998 7:15, MR THOMAS N CURLEE <mailto:JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>With 25.4 mm/inch, then a 35 mm frame is 25.4 X 100 by 1.5 X 25.4 X
>100. This is 9.68 million pixels.  With 30 bits per pixel (assume 4
>bytes) this is 38.7 MB per photo.  Note that many cam corders
>advertise 300K-400K pixel resolution. Without image compression wee
>would need a 1.4 GB hard drive to store a 36 exposure 'roll'.

Actually, a "line" is equivalent to two "pixels". So your number should be
multiplied for 4. But we have to consider also the low contrast resolution,
not only the high contrast one. I understand most lenses and films do
resolve 100 lines in HC, but I guess maybe 25 or 30 in low contrast.
Digital image has a point in this, cause the number of pixels is
unregarding of contrast grade.

Marco
mailto:tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx