Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:15:25 -0800
Probably the value of the Pen-F series was pulled up by the excellence and
the early popularity of the OM System. Current high quality produced goods
always pull up their previous stuff. Probably the Pen-F series would be no
more than a curiosity if Olympus had just made consumer cameras. I can't
think of many manufactured collectibles that were superceded by cheaper
consumer models or who discontinued completely. [I_know_there are people
who collect Kodak Retinas, but that is just eccentric. ;-) ]

>Hi Richard:
>
>Let us not forget that a historically successful and innovative, but dead-
>ended camera systems, can also lead to higher recognition for a company.  The
>OLY Pen-F series is a minor case in point.  To close out a line with high
>prices means the used equipment lists from then on will have those higher
>prices listed as what the items sold for new.  Furthermore, it elevates their
>percection as collectables.
>
>My vote goes towards OLY positioning the OM line to live on after death as a
>"collectable."  That gives future consumers the feeling that OLY equipment is
>"something special."
>
>Gary Reese
>Las Vegas, NV

Winsor Crosby