Re: [OM] the end game

Subject: Re: [OM] the end game
From: "Ian M. Stewart" <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:46:21 +0000
At 10:05 14/03/98 -0800, Jeff Spirer wrote:

>While I doubt that they will pull anything along, they are certainly useful
>tools and many have image quality that far exceeds web page requirements.
>The newspaper industry is going to digital cameras and people aren't seeing
>any difference, and people like real estate agents are finding them quite
>useful.

And techoholics are lapping them up - instant pictures and no messing with
posting or taking them into the shop.

>But it is true that Olympus is playing in the rather mundane low end of the
>digital camera business, not where the technology is pushing the limits,
>such as the hybrid Nikon/Canon cameras, or the medium and large format
>backs for existing cameras.  This is why the Olympus digital cameras will
>not have much impact.

Delete this if you've heard it before, but the fear I have is that digital
cameras, whether from Olympus or not, will replace the P&S and
holiday/family snap market to such an extent that film manufacture and
processing prices will rise and rise until only the wealthy amateurs and
serious glossy magazines will be able to use it.  :-(

--

Ian  <IMS>
                  OM Tyro - please point my lens in the right direction.