Re: [OM] It might be camera replacement time

Subject: Re: [OM] It might be camera replacement time
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:50:04 -0800
On 12/30/2023 2:53 PM, usher99--- via olympus wrote:
L &BB Moose writes:
<<The 12-100 is clearly a great lens, for everyone but me. We just didn't get along. Esp. the <<closest focus
at wide end is silly and limits its attraction to me. Mike and I swapped this <<lens and the PLeica 12-60 back
and forth in Bhutan. I preferred the PLeica; Mike and Marnie are <<still happily shooting a 12-100. 🙂

Yes, for general walking around Marnie and I both prefer the MZ 12-100 F4.  The sync IS
is amazing and as Moose mentioned the weather sealing is very good.  The IBIS is so good on the
OM-1 that the advantage of sync IS is less.  The lens is a bit too slow to allow subject separation
except under some circumstances necessitating skilled PP.

This is where I need to be careful in recommending lenses. What's trouble for many seldom is for me. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/Pseudobokeh.htm>
And. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/BlurGradient.htm>

The macro abilities of it are lousy but the Sigma AML 72-01 achromatic diopter meshes well with the
optics.  I have never seen it so cheap!  I should get another.  Moose virtually put
it in my hand with a link to it on sale but this price is crazy. No step up or down ring
required either.
Sigma AML72-01 Close-Up Lens AM5900 B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

All that being said the max mag of the PL 12-60 at the long end is nice and the
lens is small enough to fit in my long hiking pack so had to get one anyway.

Aha! I didn't know you had succumbed.  🙂

My 12-60 has been sitting in a drawer for a while, displaced by the Oly 12-200. The Panny 14-140 has seen no action for some time, either.

The 12-200 range is such that I spend much less time when using it on its own wishing for the 100-400 or thinking the tiny Panny ZS200 should have come along. And, as above, most of the optical limitations over about 140 mm are correctable in post.

Stop Enabling Moose*

* Oh well, only $13.