Re: [OM] A few flutterbys from Horn Pond Mtn

Subject: Re: [OM] A few flutterbys from Horn Pond Mtn
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:12:49 -0700
On 7/11/2023 2:40 PM, usher99--- via olympus wrote:
   The structural colors really require more photons to pop.

EWM writes:<<<Not sure about that. Not complete/up to date, but here are 44 flutterby shots.<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=17808>
Enjoyed going through those and remain intensely jealous of the Paris Peacock
shot.

Two of them, actually. For the first, you, and everyone else, jumped out of our cars and sped into the elementary school in Mongar. I imagine Carol and perhaps others, wondered "Where is Moose, always lagging." 😁 While I was working an ugly, muddy little embankment on the side of the parking lot, trying to get a good angle on a moving flutterby.

The next day, you were again ahead, in this case, your car got past construction where they were dumping tons of broken rock on the road, while we and a couple of others had to wait there an hour or so. In addition to a colorful truck and a lemon grass oil distillery, there was again an unattractive (to humans) muddy area with a PP, which is the second shot.

I think your car was ahead 'cause you guys shot out of lunch ahead of everyone. We were a little behind you as I took shots of the cute little flutterby in the gallery between the PP shots. I tried so call out and wave when I saw it, but you guys were off.

Come to think of it, I think you guys were again ahead when I spotted this unusual colored flutterer as we left our last lunch stop in Bhutan on the way to India. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxUTUVP2ovNaY2JUA>

Haste makes wasted Flutterby shots??

Most have decent light on them as can discern by the shadows.

Yup, most in direct sun.

I have taken paired shots in deep shade of "fresh" flutterbys and the iridescence is markedly attenuated
in the shots w/o a kiss of fill flash.  I should have used more precise language to describe the difference
than "pop.".  I cannot exclude another deficiency in my PP skills but it is sooo much easier to
obtain a nice image in the shade with a flash.  I can just tell by looking when the light was not good.
Not really all that hard to carry a flash, Mike

Hmmm . . . Once again, we are on a two month fall trip, New England, SW England, NW Wales and York. Too much luggage, too much gear already. I won't be carrying a "real" flash, just the tiny one that comes with the cameras. My subjects will just have to deal with it 😉

You know, I never unpacked that flash. Just pulled one out. Hey, pans and
tilts, flashes (after wiping the contacts)! Kewl!

Between the four slots of the OM-1s, I now have half a terabyte of in-camera
storage. Yow!

Fluttering Moose