Re: [OM] Monumento al Infinito

Subject: Re: [OM] Monumento al Infinito
From: usher99--- via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:51:28 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "usher99@xxxxxxx" <usher99@xxxxxxx>
Thanks for the alternate rendition, Moose.  Wish the tiff hadn’t vanished.  I
uprezzed the only little jpeg I had with Gigapixel AI and thus some star
artifacts.  The monument had a minor alignment issue overlaying the stacked sky
and foreground shots.  I was already 3 hours into it.   Many use a utility to
eliminate the green cast— typically sky glow from exited oxygen at 558nm.
Sensor is very sensitive there.  Back 5 years ago when I started, wide angle
astrolandscape was a very tiny niche.  Now there are plug -ins to “make small
stars.”  This enhances the prominence of the MW. Accuracy is often not the
goal.  If you have time, may ask you to have a look before a print after get
some time for a re-do.
I spotted this patent:
https://tinyurl.com/3mrj59c4

Whether a real product comes to market is an open question and no fast wides or
ultra-wides have IS that makes the new system work.  So OM needs a new lens
too.
  Curiously the HHHR ("hand-held" high res) on a tripod of course will stack
the sky images as long as the sky is very clear and the sky predominates--else
will stack the foreground.  That might be able to be optimized for astro but in
general longer exposure w/o star trails leads to better images than the same
exposure stacked.   I am not sure exactly why that is, but perhaps some signals
just don't rise above the noise floor w/o longer exposures.    Curiously I
think the IR filter on OM-1 and E-M1 MKiii are essentially opaque for hydrogen
alpha---about 656 nm.  Sonnie lets in about 20%.
Overall  use of the Sonnnie can result in a much higher quality image as it
captures 4X the photons and lets in some Ha, but practically the OM-1 is MUCH
easier to use in the field with Starry sky AF and Live time for the foreground.
Chasing stars and flutterbys, Mike