Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 00:02:37 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
>Both these lenses are classic Petzval optical designs., although the Burnside
>is much wider than the originals.

That is a very very  good deal.   Head still spinning from too many 4AM starts
and being swamped at my other office to get off my duff.  I think the classic
Petzval with this swirl bokeh is 55mm.  The second aperture control clearly
controls the bokeh as internal vignetting causes the effect. The Helios 44-2
has ?6 flavors and all get grease on the blades.  I had the best version all
set to buy but the CLA'd one is over 1/2the way to a new Petzval, so held off.
The Helios is only sharp in the center like all of them and must be used wide
open.  It is a true classic, but on the other had is Russian.  I wish I had
purchased it before recent events as can't see doing it now.

>>I have been following Simon Utak who has quite a few videos on vintage
>>lenses.

I could watch his videos all day.  Thanks for posting about him.  Great
analyses of vintage lenses.

I like 'em new and I like 'em old, Mike