Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 08:57:26 -0700
At 2/20/2023 10:52 PM, Moose wrote:

>Somehow, I missed this. The LenBaby Burnside 35 also has a secondary
>adjustment for vignetting/bokeh, although how similar to the Lomo, I don't
>know. Combo of lack of excitement for 35 mm and the name, which doesn't say
>anything to me is likely why I missed it.
>
>The occasion for sharing this minor revelation is that the lens is on B&H
>Dealzone special for the next 23 hours, for less than used ones.
>
>Enabler Moose

Some sample photos on flickr with this Lensbaby:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3993926@N22/pool/with/52701946201/
Not sure I fully understand the vignette control feature.

>On 6/5/2022 4:00 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
>>One other thing.  Is the charm using the vintage lens for a vintage look or
>>is it the results that matter?  For example, the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan
>>100mm f/2.8
>>from the 50's or 60's now approaches 50-75% of the new version.
>
>>https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en/lenses/trioplan-100-f2.8-ii
>
>>They are not the same as the new guy has modern coatings and more contrast
>>with similar bokeh.
>
>>The swirl bokeh in the Helios 44-2 58mm F2 Russion lens is cheap but often
>>oil on the blades and one of the 8 variants is best.  Getting that and CLA'd
>>is still cheaper
>>than the Petzval 55mm f/1.7 Mark II Bokeh Control Art Lens from Lomography
>>but the latter can be used at other apertures than wide open and still have
>>the characteristic bokeh and the swirl specifically controlled.  Also not
>>sure want a Russian lens at the moment.
>
>>Vintage all the way or similar look with new lens?  Mike

I have been following Simon Utak who has quite a few videos on vintage lenses.
I believe he said something like: the lack of coatings might be one of the
contributing factors for the unique look (my paraphrase). Clearly they do
affect contrast.

I have a "supposedly" better version of the 44-2 and some initial shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SqkdzGt1hnbLru6Z6
Contrast was adjusted.

WayneS