Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:59:58 -0800
On 2/21/2023 7:57 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 2/20/2023 10:52 PM, Moose wrote:

Somehow, I missed this. The LenBaby Burnside 35 also has a secondary
adjustment for vignetting/bokeh, although how similar to the Lomo, I don't know.
Combo of lack of excitement for 35 mm and the name, which doesn't say anything to me
is likely why I missed it.

The occasion for sharing this minor revelation is that the lens is on B&H
Dealzone special for the next 23 hours, for less than used ones.

Enabler Moose
Some sample photos on flickr with this Lensbaby:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3993926@N22/pool/with/52701946201/
Not sure I fully understand the vignette control feature.

And I'm not sure anyone does. 😁 Here's a primer on using it from the maker. <https://lensbaby.com/blogs/creative-photography/burnside-35-a-step-by-step-guide> Some reviewer(s) say it's a second diaphragm, further forward than the primary one. Others suggest that, in addition to increasing vignetting, it enhances bokeh - or not. I suspect that depends on relative subject/background distances.

Been reading reviews of their Twist 60, which I have, but have used little. At least two of the reviewers while liking it, were also frustrated that the subject to be clear must be in the center. Particularly for portraits, it limits composition.

LB sells the Twist 60 in a fixed Optic Swap body, and says something negative about using it with a flexible angle Composer body. But, Hey, LB is all about breaking rules. I've just a couple of test shot sets using slight angles to move the "sweet spot" off center. Go very far, and the classic Petzval vignetting becomes a problem (or feature). I have indications it works, but not a good example as yet.

Both these lenses are classic Petzval optical designs., although the Burnside
is much wider than the originals.

What I think I may be hunting is unique bokeh that doesn't obviously swirl. Got sucked in by the B&H deal. Based on used prices, if I don't like it after a while it should sell for no loss. Of course, I say that to myself with every deal.

One other thing.  Is the charm using the vintage lens for a vintage look or is
it the results that matter?  For example, the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan
100mm f/2.8
>from the 50's or 60's now approaches 50-75% of the new version.

https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en/lenses/trioplan-100-f2.8-ii
They are not the same as the new guy has modern coatings and more contrast with
similar bokeh.

Also, the original has an old style, umpteen blade diaphragm, while the new one has fewer. I don't know how that plays out in results.

I have been following Simon Utak who has quite a few videos on vintage lenses.
I believe he said something like: the lack of coatings might be one of the
contributing factors for the unique look (my paraphrase). Clearly they do
affect contrast.

Easy enough to reduce in post, at least mechanically. I may have a mental problem . . . The LBs all appear to have contemporary coatings.

I have a "supposedly" better version of the 44-2 and some initial shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SqkdzGt1hnbLru6Z6
Contrast was adjusted.

Up or down?