Re: [OM] New 90mm Zuiko macro

Subject: Re: [OM] New 90mm Zuiko macro
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 02:02:09 -0800
On 2/10/2023 1:38 AM, Frank wrote:
Op vr 10 feb. 2023 om 05:46 schreef Moose<olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:

An interesting intellectual exercise, but what's the point? Frank's
spreadsheet tells me the FL of my 60/2.8 is 48 mm @
1:1. How do I use that? What practical purpose might it serve?

I only want to know the magnification and the working distance. (1:1, 1x,
and 83 mm.)

I started the spreadsheet when I 'fanged' a 180mm 3.5 Sigma (€40 ;-),
wanting to learn about it.

Its practical purpose is that you gain insight in an important property of
these macro lenses, which can be usefull if you're in the market for one. I
do agree that working distance is another important metric of course, I
might add it.

I'm not sure how to calculate it. Thin lens formulas should be pretty useless. My number for the 60/2.8 was simple measurement.

It's like the Oly 12-100/4 and the PLeica 12-60/28-4. Both have the same
max mag., but on the Oly it's at 12 mm, and
highly compromised by short working distance for actual use. The PLeica is
at 60 mm and quite useful. (There's also a
perspective difference.)
The 12-100mm is the last m.zuiko with which I will part, I like my copy
very much.

Tastes vary. I had both, even took both to Bhutan, swapped back and forth with MikeG and Marnie 2-3 times. I just didn't like it, I tried, and sold it. OTOH, I do like the new 12-200 quite a lot. Paired with 100-400 + 1.4x TC, it's a wonderful combination. By itself, it almost fulfills my tele desires. Yes, it softens a bit at the long end, but current post tools deal well with that.

I think the macro capability at 100mm is not bad either (.21x vs
.3x), and the working distance might be double of the PanaLeica at the
longest focal length?

Nah, not in practice. A simple comparison. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/12-60%20vs%2012-100/12-60v100.htm> Yes, the Oly can get closer, with increased mag., but even with hood removed, it shadowed the subject, which was almost touching the glass. This was as big as I could get with the Oly, without shadow trouble. Of course there will be subjects where there's no shadow problem, but in the field, one often has no choice. Even in my own garden, this was the only angle that worked.

Note too, the very different perspective and background appearance. The whole point is moot now here, as the 12-200 has taken over.

Pragmatic Mag Moose