Re: [OM] New 90mm Zuiko macro

Subject: Re: [OM] New 90mm Zuiko macro
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:38:24 +0100
Op vr 10 feb. 2023 om 05:46 schreef Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:

> An interesting intellectual exercise, but what's the point? Frank's
> spreadsheet tells me the FL of my 60/2.8 is 48 mm @
> 1:1. How do I use that? What practical purpose might it serve?
>
> I only want to know the magnification and the working distance. (1:1, 1x,
> and 83 mm.)

I started the spreadsheet when I 'fanged' a 180mm 3.5 Sigma (€40 ;-),
wanting to learn about it.

Its practical purpose is that you gain insight in an important property of
these macro lenses, which can be usefull if you're in the market for one. I
do agree that working distance is another important metric of course, I
might add it.

It's like the Oly 12-100/4 and the PLeica 12-60/28-4. Both have the same
> max mag., but on the Oly it's at 12 mm, and
> highly compromised by short working distance for actual use. The PLeica is
> at 60 mm and quite useful. (There's also a
> perspective difference.)

The 12-100mm is the last m.zuiko with which I will part, I like my copy
very much. I think the macro capability at 100mm is not bad either (.21x vs
.3x), and the working distance might be double of the PanaLeica at the
longest focal length? The image compression will probably be closer to the
new 90mm as well ;-).

Think Frank