Re: [OM] soft addiction

Subject: Re: [OM] soft addiction
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:05:30 -0700
At 12/15/2022 04:01 PM, Softie wrote:

>On 12/12/2022 5:27 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>Cosina 55mm F1.2 in PK mount
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/PT6m57yYDHURkPBq9
>>Toby Marshall has more on this particular lens:
>>https://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/cosina-55mm-f1-2/
>
>I like it! Interesting bokeh, although perhaps not unique - see below.
>
>>As he notes: this is different from the m42 mount and not the same as the
>>Porst 55mm 1.2, which I also have.
>
>>added to my album
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8
>
>>We had snow today so not sure I can continue to use the dead flowers for lens
>>testing.
>
>Why not, if they are dried and indoors?
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Sweet%20Focus/LBsweets.htm>
>
>Well, I may need to rearrange them. There's no relatively 2D central section
>as in the central flower in yours above. With such fast lenses, so C-U, DoF is
>razor thin, so the center doesn't always look sharp, even when at 100%, the
>plane of focus may be sharp.
>
>In any case, rather casual examples, hand held, across a couple of days. And
>on one, the mag is not enough, 'cause I was lazy, and didn't use a tube.
>
>Still, much of potential interest to the soft and close addicted. ð???
>
>This was the start of LensBaby, what they now call "sweet spot", good/decent
>central sharpness, fading into increasing softness away from the center. I
>think #2 is about the same as their first lens. This rendering has always been
>a central part of their line.
>
>The first three are from what I think of as LB 2.0, when they developed their
>"Optic Swap System", with various lenses that fit into bodies that fit on the
>cameras. The bodies come in both fixed and tiltable models, to put the sweet
>spot somewhere other than the center.
>
>Anyone who wonders why so many Sweet options, need only look to see they are
>quite different.
>
>These originals used a clever, magnetic Waterhouse stop system; clever, but
>still slow in use and a bit awkward to keep track of. The next three are from
>the current optics, LB 3.0, very slightly slower, to accommodate conventional
>diaphragm apertures. One or two of the current, non-Sweet, models have both
>conventional aperture and waterhouse magnetic stops, for creative bokeh shapes.
>
>The next two samples are recent, stand alone lenses. The Trio 28/3.5 is three
>lenses in one body, one of which is a Sweet. The Sol is their second model and
>first glass lens specifically for smaller sensors, available in µ4/3 mount
>only. It's a sweet spot design, with modest tilt built-in.
>
>Next is my vintage stand-by lens, the Canon 58/1.2. I see a lot of similarity
>to your Cosina. It might be interesting to compare them on a couple of the
>same subjects, focal distances, etc.
>
>The last two are just less close shots with the LB Sweet 50/2.5, for
>perspective. ð???
>

>Obsessively Soft and Sweet Moose

Thanks for posting the work. I'm still digesting what you posted. Still
wondering

My flower is outside and had snow on it, but re/un-covering. I will need to try
using a tripod to get comparison shots. Not sure what exactly I am looking for
in the lens. Many of the lenses are a bit soft at 1.2, some sharper than
others. It is the character of the OOF that interests me.

The LB Double Glass starts to get that character, as does the Sweet. Not sure
how your Canon exactly compares, but would be nice to see. My Canon is the 50mm
LTM version. My target is a pot of dead flowers that are rounded in shape, so
flowers curve out of POF. The LB I assume just get softer away from center?

Some Toby Marshall images with the Canon 50mm 1.2 LTM at
https://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/canon-ltm-50mm-f1-2/

I have been getting lens adapters with helicoid to do C-U with them. Kipon
makes the best ones, but expensive. Fotodiox makes Stretch ones, but they are
not as nice and a bit heavy.

Warning, some OM Zuiko content:

Here is OM Zuiko 50mm F1.4 (SN > 1,100,000) on a Kipon OM to E.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BK6kmqkeDduywfyK8

Although not bokeh, the same lens at F8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhyNFxXLZqufaAaW7

and some more with that lens at the end
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8

Not sure if the G. Zuiko 50mm 1.4 would be different character?

WayneS