Re: [OM] soft addiction

Subject: Re: [OM] soft addiction
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 15:07:54 -0800
On 12/16/2022 8:05 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

Thanks for posting the work. I'm still digesting what you posted. Still
wondering

There's a surprising amount to notice and contemplate in these samples. I'm glad I did it, for myself, as it has broadened my own understanding.

My flower is outside and had snow on it, but re/un-covering. I will need to try
using a tripod to get comparison shots.

I didn't use a tripod, in part as it started as a couple of casual samples. also because of the varied nominal and effective focal lengths. And then, I kept thinking I was done . . .

I did use a tripod for a series with the Minolta and Canon Soft focus lenses; both 85/2.8, so matched mag, and with the need to make comparable photos at a series of softness settings. I haven't included them in this comparison, as they really don't fit. This is about central focus with softening away from center. These two soft lenses are about overall softening. They would be better compared to the LB and SIMA soft focus lenses and LB Velvet lenses.

Not sure what exactly I am looking for in the lens. Many of the lenses are a
bit soft at 1.2, some sharper than others. It is the character of the OOF that
interests me.

My primary interest, as well. Perhaps the relation ship 'tween center and
edges, as well

The LB Double Glass starts to get that character,

Where center becomes sharper than the single element lenses.

as does the Sweet.

The three contemporary Sweets, 35, 50 and 80 mm, are similar in some ways, but the bokeh is different.  The 35 is much busier, edgier than the others. My guess is that, with different subject and background distances, they would be somewhat different.

Not sure how your Canon exactly compares, but would be nice to see.

It's there, was last entry on the first line, now first on second line.

My Canon is the 50mm LTM version. My target is a pot of dead flowers that are
rounded in shape, so flowers curve out of POF. The LB I assume just get softer
away from center?

Yes they do. I assume it's at least in part curvature of field. I'd have to try
a flat target to see how much.

Some Toby Marshall images with the Canon 50mm 1.2 LTM
athttps://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/canon-ltm-50mm-f1-2/

Quite interesting, and obviously different than my 58/1.2. Both are 7 elements in 5 groups, but very optically different in OoF.

I have been getting lens adapters with helicoid to do C-U with them. Kipon
makes the best ones, but expensive. Fotodiox makes Stretch ones, but they are
not as nice and a bit heavy.

Nice idea. But then, I have LOTS of adapters already. Most lenses have their own adapters. For this kind of slow work, extension tubes work fine.

Warning, some OM Zuiko content:

EEEEeeeeK!

Here is OM Zuiko 50mm F1.4 (SN > 1,100,000) on a Kipon OM to E.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BK6kmqkeDduywfyK8

Although not bokeh, the same lens at F8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhyNFxXLZqufaAaW7

and some more with that lens at the end
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8

Classic Double Gauss behavior with close subject and distant background, busy and edgy bokeh. My most egregious example - donuts!,  was with an OMZ 50/1.8. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/5018bokeh.htm>

I added a shot with OMZ 50/1.4 (SN > 1,100,000) to this series, next to the Canon 58/1.2, at the start of the second line. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Sweet%20Focus/LBsweets.htm>

Not sure if the G. Zuiko 50mm 1.4 would be different character?

As I recall, the Silver Schnozzed one said that early examples were very sharp in the center, and softer away. My lens inventory claims I have three of the "Gs", including one very early. I've since looked for that one, with no success. I may look for the net earliest one day, but not this weekend.

Mixed Up Bokeh Moose