Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]

Subject: Re: [OM] Which soft, How Soft? [was soft addiction]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:19:35 -0800
On 11/11/2022 7:22 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 11/10/2022 03:14 PM, Moose wrote:
As I was making my earlier response, I noticed an empty pot sitting out on the grass
had fallen over. It struck me as a nice still life subject. Armed with E-M1 II
wearing 12-200 and A7C wearing LenBaby Velvet 85/1.8, Itook
pix.<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/Fallen%20Pot/FallenPot.htm>

I have a couple of favorites, but not yet a single winner. I've realized that
my choice depends in part whether I'm thinking of a web post or of a framed
print on a wall.

Potty Moose
I like the image. I'm kinda curious what some of my recent acquisitions would
do. The lens baby softens the image but does not do what some vintage lenses do
with the bokeh.

You may be more focused on bokeh than am I because I mess with it so often, anyway.
😉
Case in point; I've added a version of LCE and Curves that mixes in some background from the f1.8 version. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/Fallen%20Pot/FallenPot.htm>

According to my SO the LCE and Curves is the best, and also wants to know where
she can get a pot like that. I think it has the right amount of in focus plus
softness.

The pot is from Thailand, but we certainly did not buy it there and pack it home.  😁 Image searches on Google and Bing find some interesting pots, but not the same. "TinEye searched over 56.9 billion images but didn't find any matches for your search image."

Does the SnapArt just give you choices to pick or do you have some creative
control over the affects? I really liked where Topaz Studio was going, but they
have abandoned it in favor of the AI stuff. The control in Topaz was quite
extensive. Do you use any of the other Exposure bundle?

Before Studio, Topaz had several separate apps. One was Impression. They were all swept up into Studio, where Impression lurks under Filters.  All their other old apps may be included in an Impression imagining, although the method is kinda cludgy.

I don't think it's been changed since it was stand alone. I like it, but for the tendency to leave white speckles scattered around an image. I've also added a version with the speckles.

Snap Art 4 is quite similar in overall approach. It has various pseudo emulations of various graphic/painting materials and styles, then the ability to adjust all the variables the create that look. It also has not been updated in years. OTOH, it's a mature product.

Here's a bit of fun I had with it on a 'phone photo of Jim's. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Waiting_for_Order_at_RL.htm>