Re: [OM] WTFocus Stacking`

Subject: Re: [OM] WTFocus Stacking`
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 14:45:11 -0700
On 7/1/2022 7:43 AM, DZDub wrote:
On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 7:14 AM Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is a just released useful video presentation of both stacking and
bracketing, with explanation of both modes, and clarification of the
different presentation in the menus of OM-1 and OM-D

https://friedmanarchives.blogspot.com/2022/06/focus-stacking-on-sony-olympus-and.html

He goes on to cover S and F cameras too, as if anyone would want to use
them, as well as merging stacks in PS with links to cover Helicon Focus.

Although it's on Gary Friedman's site, the video is Tony Phillips' work.

Interesting that he says the way to optimize FB is to focus beginning at
the forefront, whereas with FS it wants focus in the middle.

I can't imagine how he got this so wrong. Unless he has just been using a Panny body. Panny has two options, one of which starts at the focal plane chosen and works its way forward and back, but that's bracketing, not in-camera stacking.

In his example, I think he just lucked out that two closer frames were enough.

  The video
Moose posted recently indicated that the first two shots in the stack are
ahead of the focus point.  With a 15 shot set, this would not be in the
middle.

The one I linked to is an official Oly video.

  I've been assuming that these first two shots are just for
"safety" in case of inexact focusing -- essentially throwaways.

More like safety net, to my mind. I've been shooting hundreds of stacks for years. It's way too easy for me to miss/misjudge what the closest part of the subject is. My humble equivalent is to focus, then move the camera back just a little, before completing the shot. Big increase in successes when I started doing that.

Based on
my assumptions, I seem to be getting acceptable results, so I am puzzled.
I am reasonably confident of locating the forefront of the area I want in
focus, but I'm a lot less confident about finding the middle.  I guess I'll
just keep experimenting, but I'm inclined to stay with Moose's guy.

That guy is just flat wrong. Ignore that part of his presentation.

Moose D'Experience