Re: [OM] mZ 100-400: first impressions of a late starter

Subject: Re: [OM] mZ 100-400: first impressions of a late starter
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 21:14:26 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<In any case, whether it started as a Sigma optical design or not, the end
result is fully µ4/3 optimized. The PL 100-400 is clearly designed from
scratch, whether in Germany or Japan, or <<most likely, both, for µ4/3, and the
newer Oly is easily at least as good. (MikeG is silently thinking "better at
the long end"

Yes, silently at first but now official.  ;-)   That was my first impression
when the lens was released looking at sample images though there was some
variability.  The PL also at 400mm seems to match the object size at 342mm on
the Oly???  Since when is 400 mm not 400mm.  Perhaps the Oly is slightly
sharper at f5 sharper than the PL wide open at F4.  The PL also tends to
produce some busy double edged bokeh.  The PL travels more nicely as is lighter
and shorter as well as faster on the short end.  It was the only choice in town
before too.  The PL also mates beautifully with the Pentax T132--I think best
at 300mm ish or so and depends on subject distance and how much lens extension
is used. Moose says it works fine on the Oly, but have only seen one image.
Also critical for some applications a TC can be used with the Oly and
Procapture low that refocuses can only be done on the Oly.  Wish they did sync
IS though.

Silent no longer, Mike