Re: [OM] (Fwd) Re: [cml-glass] Advice on lens sets

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Re: [cml-glass] Advice on lens sets
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 07:22:46 -0700
At 12/14/2021 04:24 PM, Soft Fingered Moose wrote:

>On 12/14/2021 2:09 PM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
>>Yep, those  FD mount adapters can be a bit weird !
>
>FL lenses are simple. Preset apertures, no auto aperture.
>
>>The 85mm f2.8 soft focus images look interesting, does the second shot have
>>silhouetted tree branches or similar in front of the lights ?
>
>My fingers in front of the lens. ð???
>
>Fingers vertical. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/qfw1K5HdqLFkAS1MA>

Interesting. Have you tried other subjects besides the lights?

>Minolta also dabbled in adjustable soft focus, Both this Canon lens and the
>Minolta Varisoft work by changing the distance between front and rear lens
>groups to introduce spherical aberrations.
>
>Canon is still in this game. Their new RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM has an SA
>(spherical aberration) control, going both positive and negative.
><https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/its-here-canon-rf-100mm-f28l-macro-has-14x-magnification-and-bokeh-control>

Interesting lens, the Canon RF 100mm macro with SA control. Some samples at
this other link.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/canon-rf-100mm-f28l-macro-is-usm-review

One would have to invest in Canon R to use the lens, unfortunately.

>Nikon made a prototype soft focus lens, but ended up going with special soft
>filters. Their designer didn't like the way SA soft focus lenses lose the soft
>aspect as they are stopped down. Their Nikon Soft filters allow the
>combination of softness with deep DoF.
>
>I had thought that the Nikon filters were unique, as they used to be. But I've
>recently acquired a Fotodiox "Diffuser" filter that looks very similar. No
>comparison made yet.
>
>Prestidigitation Moose

The Canon 100mm macro, also impressive, has well controlled focus breathing. I
don't have a macro lens that does not focus breath at macro distances quite a
bit. Although Helicon Focus does not seem to have a problem with it.

I have looked at getting some vintage lenses for their character but I'm not as
patient dealing with aperture, adapters, etc as you are. The only character
lens I have now is the CV 35mm/1.4 classic, which has interesting effect when
shot at 1.4.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BAKhm4BegFuPqozHA
Nothing that impressive.

It seems all such lenses are highly subject dependent in whether the effect has
interest.

WayneS