Re: [OM] (Fwd) Re: [cml-glass] Advice on lens sets

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Re: [cml-glass] Advice on lens sets
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:24:38 -0800
On 12/14/2021 2:09 PM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
Yep, those  FD mount adapters can be a bit weird !

FL lenses are simple. Preset apertures, no auto aperture.

The 85mm f2.8 soft focus images look interesting, does the second shot have
silhouetted tree branches or similar in front of the lights ?

My fingers in front of the lens. 😁

Fingers vertical. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/qfw1K5HdqLFkAS1MA>

Minolta also dabbled in adjustable soft focus, Both this Canon lens and the Minolta Varisoft work by changing the distance between front and rear lens groups to introduce spherical aberrations.

Canon is still in this game. Their new RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM has an SA (spherical aberration) control, going both positive and negative. <https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/its-here-canon-rf-100mm-f28l-macro-has-14x-magnification-and-bokeh-control>

Nikon made a prototype soft focus lens, but ended up going with special soft filters. Their designer didn't like the way SA soft focus lenses lose the soft aspect as they are stopped down. Their Nikon Soft filters allow the combination of softness with deep DoF.

I had thought that the Nikon filters were unique, as they used to be. But I've recently acquired a Fotodiox "Diffuser" filter that looks very similar. No comparison made yet.

Prestidigitation Moose