Re: [OM] Hey, wait! I got a new complaint!

Subject: Re: [OM] Hey, wait! I got a new complaint!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:04:30 -0700
Nice to hear from you Boris.  The "mythical method" reminds me of an Oly
suggested technique to reduce vibration with some lenses on OM cams.  It is the aperture
stop down more than mirror slap that is the issue. I especially noted this with my OM Z
50-250.

Even some mirrorless cams had "shutter shock" if using a mechanical first
curtain.

I would word that "All early mirrorless cameras used a mechanical first curtain and suffered from shutter shock blur at some FLs and shutter speeds."

It was very apparent on Oly MFT and rather hidden solution in the menus with "0
sec" delay vibration reduction which really just is using the EFCS (electronic first
curtain).

Shutter shock in µ4/3 cameras has a weird history. Right from the beginning, E-P1,  Oly built a fix into their bodies, hid it in an obscure place in the menus and never talked about it or highlighted it in any way. Panny just put their fingers in their ears and cried "Nyah, nyah, nyah . . ."

Oly's pre-EFCS solution was a menu option, "Anti-Shock", with a delay option. The shortest option, 1/8 sec., did the job. Slight shutter response delay in return for no motion blur was fine for me. When EFCS came along, they simply added the "0 second" option to the existing ones.

Panny pretty much ignored the problem until fully electronic shutter option in the GX7, then eventually a redesigned mechanical shutter (GX80/85/GX II?)

Some bokeh artifacts can be induced by the EFCS mostly at wide apertures and
fast shutter speeds.  Curiously the Panny GX 85 I had used  (thanks Moose!) for
one hiking trip did not have a EFCS setting but just full ES or using both
mechanical shutters.  Panny seemed to be able to tame the shutter shock.

Yup, redesigned shutter by then.

Historical Moose