Re: [OM] IMG: From the Distant Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Distant Past
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 11:49:07 -0700
On 7/15/2021 4:11 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Mike, I suspect it was intended for a 5x7 camera, which is about 96 times the
size of a 4/3 sensor.  Not bad resolution for a 130 year old lens.

The basics of making a very slow, moderately long lens aren't particularly difficult. Also, your use is only of the center portion of the image circle. It could be pure crap in the corners, on the size film it was designed for, and you would have no idea.

96 times is also misleading. It linear resolution that matters, not area. Yup,
ten times smaller is a lot, but not 100.

The things that make design with good results tough are speed and size/weight. Speed is obvious, I think. But the pressures of the marketplace figure in, too. Example: I have the first version of the Nikkor-Q 200/4 lens, designed in 1960. <https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0048/index.htm>

It is markedly superior in resolution to the later Oly 200/4 and 200/5. It is also a great deal larger <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=15147>

and heavier.

Quid Pro Moose