Re: [OM] IMG: From the Distant Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Distant Past
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:00:41 -0500
Hi Moose,

You are correct on all counts.  I really have no documented basis for the film size this old lens was designed to cover, though not from lack of searching.  And I can't say exactly how old it is.  I think some were made as early as 1840-50, then returned to popularity circa 1880-90.  Among those listed for sale, Waterhouse stops far outnumber rotary stops like this one.  And, yes, I cherry-picked, using only the center of the lens. But, as an experiment, I was very impressed with the resolution of a hand-held image on a freezing January morning, even though I used processing aids.

Your discussion of the Nikkor-Q 200/4 and its Oly cousins was very interesting.  From discussions on the Olympus List and the LUG, I realize that size and weight are factors that become more important as we get older.  Though I have hand held the 50-200 SWD lens, I normally add a shoulder stock or monopod if at all possible. When shooting from a blind, I always use a tripod.