Re: [OM] "4th of July" B'fly count at Appleton Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] "4th of July" B'fly count at Appleton Farm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 10:21:15 -0700
On 6/29/2021 5:52 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
I gave up on getting a diopter as all the good ones are no longer made and the
remaining ones have probably been bought up by Moose and Mike :-). Hence my
approach is a lens with good magnification natively. And if you do find one of
the coveted diopters, expect a high price tag. Hence it is likely a matched
1.4X to the lens is the better option.

DZ 40-150 0.16x  MFD 0.9m  58mm thread
DZ 50-200 0.21x  MFD 1.2m  67mm thread  (Pentax T132)
PL 100-400 0.25x  MFD 1.3m  72mm thread

This is more flexible than you may think. For example, I use the 67mm T132 with thread adapter on the 72mm PL And Oly 100-400 lenses. No vignetting. And one may use larger C-Us on smaller thread lenses.

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

For example, in 72mm the Minolta close up lens is priced around $400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114237016097

Doesn't matter. This is not a useful C-U for the lenses available for your µ4/3 or practical for your FF gear. It was designed for a 500mm lens with limited close focus. As I pointed out, the 0.76 diopter T132 crosses over with the primary lens close focus with the µ4/3 100-400mm lenses; closest focus sans C-U is the same as longest focus with it. Before I fully understood this, I did buy a Pentax T226, 0.4 diopter, but I actually have no need for it.

T132, good luck finding one of these.

I bought the Sigma AML72-01 (72mm) and is too much diopter (+1.74) for my case.

Agreed. Working distance too short, and I wasn't wild about IQ in my limited
use on PL 100-400.

<. . .>  The Pentax T132 is TRASH on the MFT Z. 12-100 even if wonderful on the
PL 100-400 most of the time.

Have you tried the Sigma? About the right diopter and right thread size.

There was a some diopter discussion on the list around 10/13-14 2020 titled
"[OM] IMG: Macro Experiment with Leica-R 60 Elmarit Macro  L"
Check out Moose's excellent notes on 10/14/2020

Did I just reinvent that wheel?

Rolling Moose