Re: [OM] "4th of July" B'fly count at Appleton Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] "4th of July" B'fly count at Appleton Farm
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 10:02:47 -0700
At 6/29/2021 07:02 AM, Jim wrote:

>Hi Wayne,
>
>I have a Leica-R 60mm Elmarit Macro lens with its matched extension tube.
>It works well with a 4/3 body and produces very nice images.  I haven't used
>it much lately because I seem to do better with autofocus.

H Jim,

One of the main items for discussion was working distance and options for
longer focal length lenses. For which there is 1.4x teleconverter or close-up
diopter, where extension tubes don't work well. On the 60mm, an extension tube
is probably the best way to go for more magnification. Just be careful you
don't squish the bug.

On other notes...

Then we have Moose criteria of not removing lenses on the camera in the field,
which requires 3 hands. I agree as I am a notorious bobbler. I'm doing good
just to not drop the lens cap.

Not sure how auto focus works with close-up lens, if at all. I have canon 180mm
macro with metabones to sony adapter. It struggles to auto-focus the bare lens.
With the Sigma AML72-01 diopter attached, the autofocus tries to work but the
diopter messes up its internal algorithm. It does give closer focus but also
shortens the working distance. (I think the metabones uses an adaptive
algorithm, where the more it is used on a lens the more it learns how the lens
focuses.) Most of the time I focus in range and then move the camera or else
use a tripod anyway.

Why doesn't anyone make 180-200mm macro lenses any more? Is it because
telephoto lenses do just as well most of the time? And 180mm macros are too
heavy?

One other question: How well does OSS or IBIS work with diopter or extension
tube? I know Sony 1.4x converters preserve OSS.

WayneS