Re: [OM] "4th of July" B'fly count at Appleton Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] "4th of July" B'fly count at Appleton Farm
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:06:01 -0500
On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 5:18 PM Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> <<<*  Allows some marriage of non-native glass to foreign camera body
> I don't follow you here.

Wasn't meant to be followed.  Target shooting with a blindfold.

> <<*  Allows a lighter kit
> Yes---CU diopter  in its case slips in a pocket  vs a macro lens.
>

> *  Esoteric qualities, approaches unobtanium standards---I was surprised
> how well the achromatic diopters can work.  The Pentax T132 is TRASH on the
> MFT Z. 12-100 even if wonderful on the PL 100-400 most of the time. I have
> a stable of these but Moose's stable is larger and I think the horses are
> now even breaking out of the paddocks due to overcrowding.
> *  Other -- please specify
>
> Try it, you'll like it------sometimes.
>
> If there were a 250 mm ish  macro lens for Sonnie or Oly that went 1:1 I
> may leave the CU diopter home, but alas it doesn't exist.
>
> Mike

Where you and Moose ended in summary is very helpful.  Thanks for the
size reduction of MFT yet.  And I'm GAS-less at the moment, stuck in town
while my mother needs me to stay in her own place.  I have a DZ 50-200 +
1.4TC on my E-5 body within reach to shoot birds at the feeder more or less
frame-filled.  When we get a few flutter bugs I venture into the backyard
with that.  Lilies are coming on.  Kind of bored with the topics though.

I got to play a little bit with my son's A7iii when he was home in May.
I'm a little more intrigued by the machinery than lens stuff at the
moment.  He really knows how to make videos with that thing:

https://vimeo.com/563416917

Very hard to break into this area since every person with a phone and insty
account is a "videographer."  He gives away a lot of work right now to
build a portfolio.   It's ironic because he pumps me for information on how
to do still photos.  I've thought about trying to find him a copy of Galen
Rowell's "Mountain Light", especially since he lives in Denver now, but I
don't want Rowell's pontifications about still vs. video/film to put him
off his craft.  I guess he's a big boy and can make up his own mind.  He
seems to be very good with ProPresenter and would like an editing job.  Of
course, if you're good at that, you make it look like nothing was done at
all.  Only a good editor himself can really see it.  And there we are at
the present time.  It was ever thus.

Thanks Mike, Moose, and Wayne.

Joel W.