Re: [OM] Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) Now Topaz AI

Subject: Re: [OM] Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) Now Topaz AI
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 08:25:20 +0800
On 21/05/16 21:54, DZDub wrote:

I haven't been using the programs very long, and I upgraded to the latest
versions almost immediately after having gotten the last version set up.
There were a couple things about how the previous version of Sharpen AI
worked that I liked, but I can't remember now. The current program works
faster though.

I started with Gigapixel, which is probably odd, but I was the most curious
about being able to print large from extractions of E-1 images.  I've been
very satisfied with that.  But by starting with GP, I discovered that all
of the programs do some variation of noise removal and sharpening.  As for
DeNoise, I find that it has mostly improved the coherence of fine detail or
otherwise done no harm. I hope it is not some lack of sensitivity on my
part.  It has been especially helpful for making something useful out of
landscapes shot on color print film which were probably developed in
somewhat exhausted chemicals.

I think as long as you are happy with the result that is perfectly fine.

For noise processing I'm very conservative, I don't like the result look too artificial. Looking at the denoise samples by Topaz I thing I prefer my own one even it look not as clean:

https://topazlabs.com/category/tutorials/denoise-ai/

Processed with RawTherapee:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Topaz-Labs-Amsterdam-OriginalT.jpg

Because I ended up purchasing the entire suite, I was given JPG to RAW AI
at the same time.  I've only used this with a couple phone images.  I have
not determined that there is an advantage to using JPG to RAW AI over
simply pulling the phone image into PS and saving it at 16bit and then
running it through DeNoise.

I have a 10-year-old Asus running these programs.  The video card is old,
of course, and the fans run hard but the GPU seems to get the job done.  If
the process takes more than a couple minutes, I might have to open the
laptop so that it cools better, or the machine shuts down to cool off,
though I usually find that I have not lost my work when I start up again.

In GPU mode my GTX1060 it only took 18s to process a 16MP 8bit image in Motion Blur mode while CPU took 99s.

C.H.Ling

Joel W.