[OM] Alternative(s) to D-G nifty fifties [was Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) sh

Subject: [OM] Alternative(s) to D-G nifty fifties [was Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) sharper stopped down than 50 1.2? --Caution, on topic.]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 22:00:12 -0700
I know this started out as a thread about sharpness of a couple of OM nifty 50s. But I managed to bend it into considering how the stuff out of the plane of focus looks. And it often bad or worse with Double Gauss derived designs.

Here are some shots I took for another purpose, strung together to show how entirely different lens designs may combine focal plane sharpness with nice, smooth bokeh. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/LB56_16_Bokeh.htm>

I suppose I should have f8 and f11, but these were taken years ago, for some
other purpose.

Lens Baby, as far as I know, doesn't publish lens design layouts. So all I know about the Velvet 56/1.6 is that it's 4 Elements in 3 Groups. Could be a Tessar derivative, or who knows what.

Lens baby has dedicated much of their product line to various designs featuring sharp centers and soft, swirly, etc. outer areas. Wide open, all are not in the sharpness sweepstakes, but stop them down and interesting mixes happen.

Lomography has been doing a lot of new lens designs. Looks on the surface like it's all about dreamy and about artificial textures and specular highlight looks in background, but who knows what may be lurking there.

Alternative Bokeh Moose