Re: [OM] Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) sharper stopped down than 50 1.2? --Cau

Subject: Re: [OM] Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) sharper stopped down than 50 1.2? --Caution, on topic.
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 22:59:48 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<The thing left out is how the lens performs in use in ways other than
resolution. Not that I expect him to cover everything, but more than resolution
is at play in choosing lenses.
<<This is a problem with all Double Gauss and DG derived 50 mm-ish lenses I
know of. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/5018bokeh.htm>

<<The degree to which bokeh is ugly varies with focal plane and back ground
distances. Closish both is usually OK. Close subject and distant background can
produce dark centered bright rings almost worthy of a mirror lens.

<<The 50/3.5 is obviously DG derived and as bad or worse than the 50/1.8s in
this regard. Wonderful C-U lens. Shoot an ant on a flower, with back ground 30
ft. away, and the bokeh is awful.

I don't recall seeing your miJ bokeh images before.  Appreciate the post.  The
super Tak 50/1.4 probably has the best bokeh of the early lot  also being DG at
heart.  The CV 50/2 APO has quite good bokeh for a 50mm--seems to be a
difficult feat.

The bokeh produced by the OMZ 50/2 macro was better than the 50/3.5 but still
often too harsh for  my taste.

Nifty fifty fan, Mike