Re: [OM] Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) shaper stopped down than 50 1.2? --Caut

Subject: Re: [OM] Is OMZ 50 1.4 (high sn) shaper stopped down than 50 1.2? --Caution, on topic.
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 07:50:25 -0700
At 5/11/2021 02:00 AM, AK wrote:
>In the past several days I've been shooting with just one lens.
>Granted, I did take three with me, but the other two ended up being a
>waste. This lens absolutely maxes out the sensor. There's nothing left
>to prove. It's extremely sharp and pretty well behaved. In fact, it's
>likely sharper than almost every lens in my entire collection. What is
>it? It's a final version of the OM Zuiko 50/1.8 lens.
>
>OK, the honest truth is that I haven't been outdoors much lately. I
>did go on a date Saturday, hiking with a potential boyfriend. Took a
>bunch of pictures with the 50/1.8 on the Sony to prove a point, but
>was otherwise distracted. :)  I might get around to posting a picture,
>or not. The lighting was a bit drab, and spring hasn't hit yet. While
>still spectacular by lower-48 standards, they weren't by Alaska
>standards, The trails were a slippery mess and I ended up on my can
>more than once which provided great entertainment to my date. (He was
>otherwise fine, but laughing at me wasn't one of the finer moments).
>
>Regardless, the "nifty fifty" of OM Zuiko fame really punches way
>above its weight. Granted, it does have issues, but it's still quite
>amazing. I'VE got issues too, but I'm still quite amazing. Hah.

Honest truth, I've been outside, but not with a nifty lens. It's just not
a lens that calls out very often. When do you pick the 50mm lens?

As you say, sharp with some issues. I will have to get out more with
my newish Voightlander 50/2 APO. I don't think it is a double Gauss.
Does the addition of aspherical elements change the equation?

I tried to re-acquires a MIJ high S/N version. The one I did get was not
in the coveted range and performed very mediocre.

And compared to Mountain bikes & parts, photography is a bargain.

your hobbies may vary - WayneS