Re: [OM] Viewfinders [starry 14mm]

Subject: Re: [OM] Viewfinders [starry 14mm]
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:28:45 -0500
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>>
> >
> > Eventually I got the Oly tubes and a 21/3.5, with which I was NOT able to
> > duplicate what you were able to do with the 21/2.
>
> Luck over skill! I think I shot half a roll on those damn bleeding hearts,
> and this one was the only one that didn't suck!
>
> Here's another done with that combo that I had to practically stand on my
> head to get. The Benbo tripod was a great help! I also relied on the OM
> angle finder, as the OM-4T didn't have either a floppy or a floppy screen
> to argue over.
>

> http://www.bytesmiths.com/Personal/pix/Screen%20Rez/02LAA37-1828.jpg
>
> For scale, there's a fir needle toward the bottom. The mushroom was about
> the size of a nickel.

Yes, I got the impression at the time that I was going to need something
like the Benbo for most shots because it always seemed like you were trying
to climb up the nostril of the thing.  I had a Slik at the time (still do)
that allows you to move the head to one of the legs, but that was more
dependent upon good fortune of position than careful planning.

I was just looking at a bunch of film shots from Arizona c.2000 and most of
the wides I shot without tripod because I was getting pretty low and
getting the angle right is everything and the wides don't require so fast a
shutter speed or so small a stop.  Who thinks about that these days when
you can just bump up the ISO or rely on your IS?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!  I would say I'm not super nostalgic
about film, but there were a lot of interesting moments shooting that way.

Joel (and still kicking) W.