Re: [OM] [OT] Viewfinders

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Viewfinders
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 23:17:03 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
On 4/18/2021 7:48 PM, Willie Wonka via olympus wrote:
<<I plan on pointing my future cameras at the celestial objects more and more
<<often and would like to start discussion with regards the quality of the
<<electronic viewfinders all cameras now have and their suitability to
<<astrophotography.

Starry sky AF was the killer feature for Marnie  which is why we took a bath on
selling the MkII.  There are two modes --- use the accuracy priority on a 'pod.
Mag LV on the LCD is usually adequate to try and obtain sharp stars.   It is
not only the EVF but the lens MTF wide open that matters.  I had a heck of a
time focusing the  CV 10.5/0.95  as its performance
at 0.95 was not stellar and I  would miss frequently.  I had rented it for
kicks and perhaps more practice would have helped. I did not even suggest
Marnie use it.  Good thing as we only had a 20 min window before clouds rolled
in at White Pocket. If you can focus on a distant object before the light is
gone or have a powerful headlamp, that can work too.
That lens' infinity hard stop was off.  I could have taped it at infinity
during the day but would need to refocus for the foreground and stack.  Too
much work for Marnie as she already had to engage the intervalometer to stack
the sky shots then get the foreground.   It is easier at home in the backyard
then  2AM while she was cold, tired, excited with the MW reflected in a pool
below.  She got the best shot anyway when all was said and done.  We had an
astro trip planed to La Palma but COVID did that in.   Some day perhaps.

I had rented the HUGE Sigi 14/1.8 which was designed for DSLR and modified for
Sonnie.   A new Sonnie guy will be announced next week  that looks much smaller:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/03/2147003.jpg

I hope it doesn't vignette a ton given the apparent size.

Bahtinov  masks can help  focus for longer focal lengths but will not help for
astro landscapes with ultra-wides.

My 2c, Mike