Re: [OM] [OT] Viewfinders [starry 14mm]

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Viewfinders [starry 14mm]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 19:57:42 -0700
At 4/22/2021 04:10 PM, Mike wrote:
>More info on new Sonnie lens that was supposed to have astro-landscape in mind
>for design. The lens is certainly waaaaaaay smaller than the Siggie 14/1.8
>that I rented.
>
>Lenstip found a bunch more coma than expected.
>
>https://www.lenstip.com/606.7-Lens_review-Sony_FE_14_mm_f_1.8_GM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html
>
>Lenstip doesn't test at infinity, so perhaps that is the problem or ? if they
>have a bad apple.
>
>This guy likes it for Astro though there is clearly some coma in the windmill
>shot.
>
>https://www.albertdros.com/post/sony-14mm-f-1-8-in-the-field
>
>He is a "Sonnie Artisan" and very talented to boot, so have to keep that in
>mind.  I'll wait until some mere  mortals have it in hand with clear skies.
>
>All astro trips on hold anyway., Mike

I think your mortal hands would do just fine. I would get one if I did not
already have a CV 10 and 12 mm. You can keep an eye on the mortals on FM.

I was never quite attracted to the sonnie 24 GM but this lens looks quite nice.
The 20/1.8 is a nice lens but not quite the GM level this 14 is. What I like
about the 20 is the close focus, which this 14mm lens also has. (20mm close):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1z5au66uejQwgZaF8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hK9vQr9fFYNi6NMr6

I didn't quite understand bokeh on 14mm but a couple of the shots on the Albert
Dros link make an interesting case. And nice that his images can be viewed
larger.

And even more amazing, he has a camera strap on the camera. Of course it does
say Sony, so I guess that makes is OK.

WayneS