Re: [OM] More Moose Madness - It's not all about the glass.

Subject: Re: [OM] More Moose Madness - It's not all about the glass.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:08:47 -0800
On 1/25/2021 8:37 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

Hi Jim, How's the head?

I don't see much change in the first two boxes, but the final one does wonders.

It's one of those things where what isn't obvious makes a big difference. The first step gets rid of noise. Not all that noticeable (unless you are me 😉 ) But without that, the following steps will accentuate the noise and it will suddenly be a problem.

The second step adds just a tiny bit of detail. Not really necessary to show, but interesting nonetheless. Topaz Sharpen, Stabilize Mode corrects image blur due to movement - sometimes spectacularly so. This result shows that the OIS in the lens works very well, even with teleconverter. It's a smart TC, and communicates with lens and camera.

Good luck with some subjects.

Thanks!

I have a friend who is shooting a 600 on a Sony and getting great bird images,
so that seems to be a nice FL to have.

On FF or APS-C? That makes a pretty big difference for that kind of photography. 600 mm on APS-C is about 900 mm eq., my 400 mm on µ4/3 is 800 mm. The TC will take me out to 1120 mm eq.

I'm pretty happy with my bird photography. As an amateur who doesn't go on special bird photo trips, just capture what I run across in my travels (and yard), I think I do well. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/gbzMNcDnhqTySLa02>

I'm also happy with my shots of people doing photogenic things that are predictable. I'm sure sports photogs are well versed in the signs of what players are going to do next.

With Bhutanese dancers, I didn't do so well the first time, trying to catch the moment. Second time, I was armed with the proper AF settings and burst mode that AFs for each frame, and it was easy. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/KM2M4XTiWcmJhrar9>

But critters, insects and ordinary people don't telegraph their movements. So the idea of capturing a stream of shots, at a fairly high frame rate, with older ones falling off the end, and the queue saved when the shutter is pressed all the way, is pretty appealing.

That tiny, crucial delay between seeing what's happening, pressing the button and camera lag time in capture disappears by going back a frame or three. 😁

Lag Les Moose