Re: [OM] OT: Missing Packages

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Missing Packages
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:25:42 -0800
On 12/16/2020 10:28 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
We've also been experiencing packages "disappear" in Memphis. However,
they then reappear as they reach the Anchorage airport. I think what
is happening is they are loading containers for destinations and
holding those containers until full. This is different than what they
did in the past where they would either resort at a different center
or send partials. But in the meantime, it has the appearance that the
package disappears into thin air as there are no more updates.

I don't know about that specific problem in that specific place, but it does seem to me that the web reporting tracking is being overwhelmed, likely by people taking actions to keep the stuff moving without regard to the effect on tracking.

I recently had a FedEx Ground package 'disappear' for about a day and a half between Stockton and Tracy, then appear on my doorstep. A current package from KEH apparently left Austell, GA at 4:03 am last Thursday and hasn't been recorded since. Tracking app shows both that and a scheduled delivery today, but not reported "Out for Delivery". Experience suggests that it will go into limbo later today and show up a couple of days later.

I've had similar experiences with 2-4 USPS packages. On the Other side, I've had a couple of packages delivered early, and continued to get alerts for the later date originally posted. The connection between reality and tracking is particularly poor just now.

On yet another note, it seems that FedEx Express (not to be confused with Ground, which is the old Purolater) seems to have gained ground in 'Bay shipping from Japan. I received yesterday a package from them that took less time from Japan than domestic packages with Ground from NY and GA.

Random Access Moose