Re: [OM] First Snow on the Eagle River

Subject: Re: [OM] First Snow on the Eagle River
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 11:22:06 -0800
Philippe, just to circle back around to the lens camera combination
again, I wanted to talk a little more about it.

As some of us have the GX85 (GX80 or GX7 ii), we sometimes get a
little frustrated with the color and tonality we get from the camera
in Lightroom. There are some lighting conditions and subjects that can
cause difficulty. However, there is one particular kind of lighting
that I think all Panasonic Lumix cameras excel in and that's flat,
overcast lighting. There is a gentleness to the tones that gives the
images a look much more like that of a medium or large-format camera.
This isn't usually present in harsh lighting, but for soft lighting,
the subtleties are amazing. I don't know of any other camera brand
that uniformly is as good at it as Panasonic. I see it in the DMC-L1,
and I see it in the GX85.

The Lumix G 25/1.7 lens is an odd-duck lens. I bought mine on sale for
around $100 USD and it is easily among the best bargain-priced lens on
the market in any mount or in any format. I likely get the sharpest
pictures with this camera-lens combination of any camera-lens
combination in my entire kit! Focus is sometimes a little slow, it's
all plastic, it isn't waterproofed, and is about as well-built as a
Walmart toaster. Wide-open, it still performs well, but I find that
the lens is engineered to a type of usage that the bokeh is very nice
but doesn't present flaws that make it interesting. Unlike most "nifty
fifty" lenses, the background doesn't get nervous.

But where this lens really shines is the "micro-contrast". The weakest
link is not the lens, it's the camera, and in this regard, the camera
itself is remarkable (at ISO 200). I think it's pretty obvious that
Panasonic learned something from their relationship with Leica and it
wouldn't surprise me if this lens was actually designed by Leica! It
has a look which implies as much.

TL;DR, I love the lens, and enjoy shooting with it more than I should.
But it does alias on the GX85 because it is so sharp.

AG Schnozz