Re: [OM] First Snow on the Eagle River

Subject: Re: [OM] First Snow on the Eagle River
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 06:58:36 -0800
Yes, people do canoe and kayak the Eagle River. There is a portage around a
waterfall near the highway. Surprisingly, it isn't as popular of a river as
it could be. If it was in the lower 48 it would be mayhem. But this is
Alaska where there are real adventures to be had and it is boring in
comparison.

Eagles? Yes! These are year-round nesting ones. But as the river does
freeze over, they usually congregate down by the landfill. We always have
to have our toy poodle on a leash.

While this photograph was taken about five miles from home, the river goes
right behind our house, and is just barely visible through the trees. I
rarely hike back there though because the bear situation is very dangerous
at this spot. Unless I'm carrying a hand cannon, I really don't feel
comfortable down there. Winter is fine, though, and I do go snowshoeing.

AK Schnozz