Re: [OM] First Snow on the Eagle River

Subject: Re: [OM] First Snow on the Eagle River
From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 10:30:36 +0200

> Le 23 oct. 2020 à 21:22, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> Philippe, just to circle back around to the lens camera combination
> again, I wanted to talk a little more about it.
>
> As some of us have the GX85 (GX80 or GX7 ii), we sometimes get a
> little frustrated with the color and tonality we get from the camera
> in Lightroom. There are some lighting conditions and subjects that can
> cause difficulty. However, there is one particular kind of lighting
> that I think all Panasonic Lumix cameras excel in and that's flat,
> overcast lighting. There is a gentleness to the tones that gives the
> images a look much more like that of a medium or large-format camera.
> This isn't usually present in harsh lighting, but for soft lighting,
> the subtleties are amazing. I don't know of any other camera brand
> that uniformly is as good at it as Panasonic. I see it in the DMC-L1,
> and I see it in the GX85.

So did I - the L1 performed excellently when used in soft-box like circumstances

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Lumix/Cows.jpg.html

Or

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Lumix/La+Nef+_1+sur+1_.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Lumix/Sunday+stroll+experiments-1090607.jpg.html

PLS view them large for better appreciation

> The Lumix G 25/1.7 lens is an odd-duck lens. I bought mine on sale for
> around $100 USD and it is easily among the best bargain-priced lens on
> the market in any mount or in any format. I likely get the sharpest
> pictures with this camera-lens combination of any camera-lens
> combination in my entire kit! Focus is sometimes a little slow, it's
> all plastic, it isn't waterproofed, and is about as well-built as a
> Walmart toaster. Wide-open, it still performs well, but I find that
> the lens is engineered to a type of usage that the bokeh is very nice
> but doesn't present flaws that make it interesting. Unlike most "nifty
> fifty" lenses, the background doesn't get nervous.
>
> But where this lens really shines is the "micro-contrast". The weakest
> link is not the lens, it's the camera, and in this regard, the camera
> itself is remarkable (at ISO 200). I think it's pretty obvious that
> Panasonic learned something from their relationship with Leica and it
> wouldn't surprise me if this lens was actually designed by Leica! It
> has a look which implies as much.

Well Leica have designed a few lenses for Pana, all good to excellent; aren’t
they?

> TL;DR, I love the lens, and enjoy shooting with it more than I should.
> But it does alias on the GX85 because it is so sharp.

Keep the good work coming, and beware of latex :-)

Amities
Philippe